Sunday, October 5, 2008

Joe Cummings's travel soundracks...

Some people need a soundtrack for their trips, music to listen to while on the road. "Once in 1989 I was busing across the mountainous, surprisingly empty expanses of southwestern China, when a fellow passenger passed me a tape of Thelonious Monster. I think I had only three tapes with me on that particular 36-hour ride, and TM sure sounded good. I've been making and trading tapes on the road a lot since then. Some music sounds great in one country, but comes across kind of flat or pretentious in another. Why is this? Don't ask me, but if you want some recommendations, here's some music you might enjoy"

Why does Leonardo DiCaprio's character in the 20th Century Fox movie, The Beach, say, "If I ever meet [Joe Cummings] I'm going to punch his lights out"?

Amongst many other things, Joe is behind the following Lonely Planet Publications: Bangkok City Guide; China; Indonesia; Laos; Malaysia, Singapore & Brunei; Myanmar (Burma); Southeast Asia on a Shoestring; Thailand; Sri Lanka; Thailand's Islands & Beaches.

No comments: